Single Moms At Work
The Single Moms at Work Program is a partnership between our organization, single mothers and our ecosystem, to promote well-being and upward mobility for women raising their children in under-resourced communities.
Single Moms at Work helps single mothers depart from poverty through:
- Employment at urban furniture & boutique, our reuse furniture and clothing boutique. We hire single mothers who are ready and motivated to make a life change to work in our reuse store as a Customer Service Associate. For six months, they gain basic workplace and professional skills, acquire retail and customer service training, and gain access to safety net services that promote self-efficacy and economic mobility;
- Housing at the urban house, our transitional housing initiative. We provide housing to single mothers and their children for up to 24 months;
- Wrap-Around Services to include coaching and case management centered on barrier remediation, goal achievement and one-on-one support.
Are you a single mom who is interested in participating?
To be eligible for the program, you must satisfy the following basic criteria:
- Be a single mom who is at least 18 years old
- Have custody of your children
- Be on public assistance (e.g., CalWORKS)
- Have right-to-work documents
- Demonstrate ability to arrange for child care while you are participating in the program
Those who satisfy the basic criteria above may be selected to undergo additional assessment and screening, including basic skills tests and employability assessments. Successful applicants typically demonstrate a strong customer service attitude and motivation to learn and apply new skills.
If you meet the basic criteria above, please fill out the form below.